Now here is where things got interesting…I knew I was having a boy and was under close watch by my OB/GYN. She scheduled me for another appointment on Friday, November 9th around 3:30pm (I was 29 weeks).
As soon as I arrived the nurse did the usual, weight and blood pressure check. I was around 158lbs (my starting weight was 140) and my blood pressure was 154/110. The nurse was concerned so she tried my other arm. Nearly the same result 154/109. For a person like me whose blood pressure should be around 120/80 this result was extremely high. The nurse took me back and immediately got my OB. They turned the lights off in the room and asked me if I was stressed out. I honestly am rarely stressed out, I am a unusually calm and patient person. So I answered no and they asked me to lay on my left side for about 15 minutes in the dark and relax and they would try my blood pressure again.
The slowest 15 minutes of my life…but finally it was over and yet again my blood pressure was 156/108. They tried it one more time, 15 minutes in the dark and came back and it was 152/109. No such luck on getting my blood pressure down. So my OB/GYN sent me to GBMC to have blood work and a urine analysis done (since they could complete those way faster than the lab downstairs). I called my husband and told him what was happening and told him not to panic. They just wanted to make sure everything was alright. I could be stressed and not know it. So I met him at his workplace and we rode together to GBMC Labor and Delivery. Once I was checked in, they hooked me up to everything under the sun. They did a sonogram, had me on the heart monitor for my heart and the babies. Took my blood pressure a thousand times and of course did a urine analysis and blood work. My blood pressure upon arrival to GBMC was what had caused all of this to happen…it was 162/114. The nurses were concerned and the doctor came in to talk to me after seeing the results from everything. They decided to keep me overnight to watch over me and make sure I didn’t have a stroke or seizure.
If someone was to ask me at that moment whether or not I was panicking or “wigging out” the answer is still no. I could hear my sons heartbeat and feel him moving around like crazy so I was calm.
After I was held for 24 hours and had multiple tests done, the doctor called and said he wasn’t 100% on sending me home but he wasn’t sure he wanted to keep me either. He ultimately left the decision up to me…
You know that feeling you get when you have to make a decision and it’s almost like you aren’t the one speaking or making the decision…the answer just kind of comes out and you have no idea why you even said that let alone who just spoke on your behalf because you swear it isn’t you? Well that’s what happened to me at that moment. The nurses asked me what I wanted to do. My answer was “Well if the doctor isn’t 100% on sending me home I don’t want to go home just yet. I would feel way better about leaving if he was telling me it’s okay to go.”
So that’s when I got admitted…And I am telling you I never would’ve answered that way if it wasn’t for God. God was watching over me and our son that entire time. He raised my blood pressure, got me into the hospital, and gave me the wisdom to answer that question correctly. Ultimately with my condition either I or my son could’ve died if I hadn’t had His wisdom and guidance to keep me at GBMC.
And it wasn’t until about 24 hours after I agreed to stay that I was diagnosed with preeclampsia…